Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Vicious Tornadoes in Oklahoma


I admit it. I don't like tornadoes. Ever since I was a small child I've been scared of them. Over the years I've suffered ridicule from others because of, what I like to call, my healthy respect of them.

Today several large tornadoes ran through my home state of Oklahoma and my heart and prayers go out to those who were effected by them. As one of those was raging toward the town of Piedmont, we made the last minute decision to make a dash for a friends house, who has a storm shelter, about 5 miles away. In order to get to safety we had to actually drive toward the tornado.

As we drove, the clouds grew more and more ominous. The lightening was the most intense I've ever seen. We continued to race toward the black wall of clouds and also our safety, blowing through stop signs and driving as fast as was safe.

Now sitting in my comfy chair in the living room, reflecting on the event, a few things stand out.

1. As we drove quickly to safety there were cars in front of us that seemed to be unconcerned of the sever conditions. This was evident from how slow they were driving.

2. The experts told us to get to the safest place possible at all cost.

3. Even though we were driving into the storm, safety lay between us.

We continued driving as fast as possible, until finally we arrived at the road. We raced down the street and into the driveway of our friends. In moments we were underground in a storm shelter.

Fortunately, the tornado stayed about 4 miles North of us and my family is safe tonight. This time. What would have happened if we would have ignored the experts and the storm would have made a direct hit to our house?

Its an easy transition to make a spiritual implication here. Many people are wondering through life not realizing the sever condition of their souls. Without Christ, life and certainly eternity is pointless. Even though God has sent people into their lives to warn them of those sever conditions. Undoubtedly, there will be times that we feel we are driving right into, or have entered into, the greatest storm of our lives. However, if we are in the safest place possible...we'll survive the storm.

Where is that "Safe" place for our souls? In Christ. The Bible says in Psalms 32:7 "Thou art a hiding place for me,thou preservest me from trouble; thou dost encompass me with deliverance."

Romans 10:9 "because, if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

I pray that you will get to the safe place soon.